Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Skirts galore

It's no secret that I am raising girly girls.  Amazon size girly girls, but that's not what this post is about.  They love sparkles, rainbows, hair pretties, dresses, pink, purple, unicorns and skirts.  Well, maybe not so much the unicorn part.  But they do love their skirts!  Here are three new ones.

The Lil Blue Boo ruffle bustle skirt.  Nin wants to wear the bustle part in front.  Why you ask?  Because it's the pretty part and she wants to be able to see it.  I kept trying to tell her that it's the suprise part of the skirt.  No one will expect it and then when she turns around, bam!  A surprise!  That went over like a lead balloon and I had to bribe her to wear it correctly for the pictures.  It remains to be seen if this will be a continuing problem. 

lil blue boo

lil blue boo

lil blue boo

I bought this ruffle fabric at JoAnns knowing that it would make the girls happy. It's ruffley, pink, purple and a skirt. All they qualities they look for.

This is just 2 pieces of ruffle fabric serged onto a 3 inch wide piece of elastic. Just like Justice sells. For both skirts it cost me $7.50 or $3.75 each. Take that Justice. You and your $30 kid skirts. Ha!

ruffle

ruffle

I put a tag on the back of each one so they could tell them apart!

ruffle

ruffle

ruffle

The girls and I dyed the elastic for the waistbands since all I had was white. Since the elastic is mostly poly and it doesn't hold dye as well as something like cotton, it may fade over time. In fact, on it's first wash it lost a lot of color. But it's still pretty pink! Below is the process.

I initialed the pieces so I would know which waistband belonged to which girl, but after I finished dying them , I figured out they were exactly the same size! 
Photobucket

Salt

Photobucket

dye

Photobucket

stir stir stir

Photobucket

Then it sits for an hour in the dye, and when it came out it was this color

Photobucket

After the first wash it is now bubble gum pink!

No comments:

Post a Comment