Monday, October 25, 2010

Ooooooh spooky!

Remember last week when I told you I was working on a skeleton outfit that someone ordered?  Well here it is!  I used a Target gym suit so that I didn't have to make that, and then just free hand traced bones onto freezer paper with a sharpie.  Freezer paper is great for crafting because it's cheap, you can see through it and it takes sharpies really well.    You can also iron freezer paper onto fabric to create a stencil so that you can paint on your fabric.  Did I mention it's cheap?  Anyways, this post isn't about the virtues of freezer paper.

After I made my bone patterns, I cut them out of felt and then appliqued them onto the gym suit.  I had cut the side seams of the sleeves and pants so that I could get to the appliques and then just serged the side seams back up!  I even changed the thread in my serger.  In fact, it took longer to change the thead spools then it took to actually sew the seams back up.  If this were for my kids, I wouldn't have changed the thread.  ;)  It's pretty awesome if I do say so myself.  It's just a good thing I am not an anatomy major.  I am sure it's not anatomically correct!  The rib cage was too short so I added a couple extra ribs so that it took up more space..... 

The black line down the center of the pelvic bone is actually the drawstring to pants! 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment